If you enjoy spending time in your yard, you know how frustrating it can be when it’s invaded by bugs. Annoying mosquitos and other bugs can turn a fun time into a miserable one. Not only can they be a nuisance, but they can pose health risks or damage your plants.
Here are some things you can do to make your time outside more enjoyable:
1. Take care of your yard. While experts recommend keeping your grass long to retain moisture and avoid weed germination, it doesn’t mean you should cut it once a month. Cutting your lawn regularly can prevent bugs from getting too comfortable and settling in.
2. Eliminate standing water. Standing water is the perfect hangout for mosquitos. Fortunately, there are some things you can do.
- Empty stagnant water from potted plants, bird baths, or miscellaneous buckets.
- Consider adding fresh water regularly.
- If you’re experiencing standing water in your yard due to low spots, consider filling them in with dirt and applying new grass seed. If it’s a much bigger project, calling your local landscape professional is wise.
- If you have a pool, always ensure the water is circulating. If you have a small children’s pool, keep it covered, or be sure to add fresh water regularly.
- Add fill such as sand, wood chips, pea gravel, or rubber mulch if you have standing water near your swing set or play system.
3. Consider purchasing oscillating or patio-specific fans. Using fans is an affordable and great way to prevent flying insects from spoiling your time outdoors. It’s difficult for flying insects to fly with a heavy breeze.
4. Keep your gutters clean. With season changes, pests are always on the lookout for a nice home. A gutter clogged with leaves can be a great place for rats, mice, and birds. If there’s pooling water, mosquitos will love it during summer.
5. Plant strategically. Whether you’re looking to freshen up existing landscaping or to add new plants, you might want to consider adding plants bugs dislike. This is a great, natural way to help keep them away. Here are some options:
- Mosquito Plant